If you’ve got a Huawei Mate SE, you’re the owner of an awesome budget smartphone that can do many great things. There’re several things that your phone can do after rooting such as flashing custom ROMs, overclocking and installing stunning themes, and Huawei Mate SE is no different. If you want to go the extra mile and root Huawei Mate SE for this reason, we’re going to take you through the steps needed to do that. Let’s dive into that.
Rooting your device may void the warranty offered by the company. And making any mistake during the procedure may also result in a bricked device. Proceed carefully and proceed only at your own risk.
Prerequisites – Before You Root Huawei Mate SE
Before you get started with the procedure of rooting Huawei Mate SE ensure that you’ve got the following things ready:
- The battery of your device should be charged 70-80 percent.
- The bootloader of your device should be unlocked. If it’s not unlocked then this procedure won’t work. Unfortunately, Huawei has stopped providing bootloader unlocking codes for its smartphones after the 24th of May, and there’s also no other way to unlock the bootloader apart from the official website. If you happen to have unlocked the bootloader, please proceed.
- USB debugging should be enabled. If you’ve never enabled it before, navigate to Settings -> About section of your phone and tap the build number 7 times. You’ll see a message saying “You’re now a developer”, and after that, you can go back to Settings where you’ll find a new menu called ‘Developer options’. Enter that menu and enable USB debugging along with OEM unlock option.
- Android Debugging Bridge (ADB) and Fastboot should be installed and working properly on your computer. If not, this is how you can install ADB and fastboot on your computer.
- You’ll have to install TWRP recovery on your Huawei Mate SE during the root procedure. Get it from here.
- Download the latest version of Magisk and no verity on your device and place them in the internal memory of your Huawei Mate SE.
- Finally, back up your data because you’ll lose it during the procedure.
How to root Huawei Mate SE
Once you’re done with the prerequisites given above, follow the steps given below to root your Huawei Mate SE:
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode. Press and hold power + volume down keys together until you see the fastboot screen.
- Open command prompt on your computer (Terminal on Linux or Mac), navigate to platform-tools (the folder from ADB), type following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (on Mac and Linux)
- This will install TWRP custom recovery in the first partition of your device. Next, you need to install TWRP recovery on recovery partition 2 by executing the following command:
fastboot flash recovery2 recovery.img
./fastboot flash recovery2 recovery.img (on Mac and Linux)
- TWRP custom recovery on your Huawei Mate SE has successfully been installed. The next step is to boot your smartphone into recovery mode. To do so, unplug your phone from the USB cable and hold both power and volume down buttons at the same time. Your phone will boot into TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery click on Install, and select the Magisk file that you had downloaded in prerequisites. Then swipe to confirm the installation and wait until the process completes.
- Next step is to install no verity file that you downloaded in prerequisites. The process is exactly the same – The one that you followed to install Magisk file.
- Finally, hit back and select Reboot’option, followed by System.
And that’s it. Huawei Mate SE will boot normally as it has been rooted now. If you wish, you can check the root access by using Root Checker app available in Play Store.
original image credits – Flossy Carter
Get these updates via email for $0 (Limited time)
We will never share your details with anyone.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.