OnePlus 6 is one of the Android smartphones that you can root without voiding the warranty. In our last tutorial we told you how to unlock its bootloader so you can root it, and now in this tutorial, we’re going to explain the actual rooting procedure. Let’s get started:
Prerequisites – Before you root OnePlus 6
There’re some preparations that you need to do before you can flash TWRP custom recovery on your OnePlus 6 and get started with the actual rooting procedure. Follow the steps given below in order to complete those necessary pre-requisites:
- Your device should be charged at least 60%. If not then charge it first.
- ADB and fastboot should be installed on your computer. If you’ve not used your PC for rooting or bootloader unlocking procedure earlier than there’s a good chance that they may not be installed on your PC. In that case, you can install them by following the procedure outlined in this tutorial.
- The bootloader of your OnePlus 6 should be unlocked. If you’ve not unlocked it already then here’s how you can unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 6.
- Next, enable Advanced Reboot option from Developer Options in Settings
- Set a password or PIN for security on your phone. You can skip this step if your phone is already protected by a password or PIN.
- Download TWRP zip file on your phone and TWRP image file on your computer.
And that’s it. You’re good to go ahead and flash TWRP custom recovery on your phone. Let’s see how it is done.
Installing TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6
Before rooting your OnePlus 6 you’ll have to replace its stock recovery with TWRP custom recovery. To do that –
- Reboot your phone in bootloader mode. To do so hold the power button of your phone and select Reboot >> Bootloader.
- Once your phone has booted into bootloader mode connect it to PC via USB cable.
- Navigate to platform-tools folder of the fastboot directory on your computer. You can find it at C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
- Once in platform-tools folder, right-click anywhere in the white area while holding the Shift key on your keyboard simultaneously. Select Open command window here
- Now open the folder in which you downloaded the TWRP image file on your PC (the file mentioned in prerequisites).
- In command window type fastboot boot, drag the TWRP image file into the command window and drop it. The file name with location will be added next to your command. Hit Enter to execute the command.
- Now enter the PIN or password of your phone on phone screen.
- Swipe on the screen to approve modifications.
- Tap Install and select the TWRP zip file that you downloaded during prerequisites. You’ll have to navigate to the directory where it was downloaded to select it. In most cases, it will be located in the default Download folder of your phone (unless you changed the download location manually).
- Swipe the slider again to install TWRP permanently.
- Now Reboot System and decline the option to install the TWRP app.
You’ve successfully installed the TWRP custom recovery on your OnePlus 6. Now we’ll root the device by using this recovery.
Steps to root OnePlus 6
- The first step is to download and install Magisk Manager App on your phone. Download Magisk manager for your OnePlus 6 and install it by tapping the notification once it has been downloaded. If this is the first time you’re installing an app downloaded from a source other than Play Store then your device may ask for permission to install the application from unknown sources. You can enable it by navigating to Settings and tapping Allow from this source. Once you enable it you’ll be able to install Magisk.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app that you just installed and it will ask you whether you want to install Magisk or not. It’s actually asking you whether you’d like to install Magisk framework or not –NOT the Magisk Manager app that you’re already running. Tap Install, and then select Download Zip Only, and to let it download the Magisk framework.
- Once that download is finished (you can check its progress in the notification bar) you need to boot your phone into TWRP custom recovery that you flashed recently. Make sure that Advanced Reboot option is enabled in Developer Options of your phone and hold the power button. Then select Reboot >> Recovery.
- When TWRP recovery boots, it will ask you for your PIN or password. Enter it and select install.
- Navigate to the MagiskManager folder of your phone, which will be located in Internal storage. Inside that folder select the Magisk-vX.X.zip file and tap Install Image.
- On the next screen, you need to swipe and confirm the modifications. This is the process that will actually root your phone, so let it finish peacefully.
- Once it’s finished, tap Reboot System to finish the process.
Congratulations. You’ve rooted your OnePlus 6, and you can manage the root access by using Magisk Manager app that you had downloaded earlier. You can also verify the root status by downloading and installing Root Checker app from Play Store if you want to.
Get these updates via email for $0 (Limited time)
We will never share your details with anyone.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.