OnePlus 6 is one of those rarest smartphones that you can root without voiding the warranty. But in order to root it, first of all, you’ll have to unlock its bootloader. What is this bootloader, you may ask? Well, it’s a small piece of software in your phone that loads before the operating system, and it tells your phone where it can find a bootable instance of the OS. By default, it’s programmed in such a manner that it will load only an OEM provided Android OS (OnePlus in this case).
Prerequisites – Before You Unlock OnePlus 6 bootloader
Before you can get started with the unlocking process you need to do some preparations. Follow the steps given:
- First of all, ensure that the battery of your OnePlus 6 is at least 60-70% charged.
- Your PC should also have ADB and fastboot drivers installed. If it’s not the case, install them first by following the procedure outlined here about installing ADB and fastboot drivers.
- Next, back up your data because this process will wipe it.
- Enable Developer Options on your OnePlus 6. To do so navigate to Settings >> About phone section and tap the Build number of phone 7 times consecutively. This will enable Developer option and you will see a success message declaring “You’re now a developer!”.
- Now go back to Settings and open Developer Options. Enable OEM Unlocking and enter the PIN of your phone, if prompted.
- You also need to enable the Advanced Reboot option from Developer Options. This will help you in easily booting your phone into fastboot mode.
Now you’re ready to start unlocking the bootloader of your OnePlus 6.
Steps to Unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader
- First of all, 0navigate to the directory in which you installed Fastboot on your phone and open platform-tools folder in it. This will be located at C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
- Once you’re in this folder, hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right-click anywhere in the white space of folder. Then click on Open command window here to open a command window in the folder.
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode. To do so hold the power button of your phone and select Reboot on first prompt and Bootloader on the second prompt. This will boot your phone into fastboot mode (and this is the reason why we activated Advanced Reboot in prerequisites).
- Connect your phone to computer via USB cable.
- Verify that your computer can communicate with your phone. Enter the following command to verify this:
- If this command returns a series of words and numbers followed by the term “fastboot”, then you’re good to follow the next steps. Otherwise, eject the USB cable and connect it to PC once again (maybe over a different USB port).
- Now finally, we’re going to unlock the bootloader. Execute the following command:
fastboot oem unlock
- Once you enter this command a new screen will appear on your phone asking you to confirm whether you want to unlock the bootloader or not. Use your phone’s volume keys for highlighting UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER option and press the power button to select it.
- Now sit back and wait for at least 15 mins. Once this process is complete the bootloader of your OnePlus 6 will be unlocked.
That’s it. Now you’ve unlocked the bootloader and you need to set up your phone once again like you did at the time when you bought it for the first time. Once you’ve done that setup you can do whatever you want to do with your OnePlus 6. We’ll also put up a rooting tutorial for this device very soon, so keep an eye on our updates if your goal is to root your OnePlus 6.
Get these updates via email for $0 (Limited time)
We will never share your details with anyone.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.